Jira Databases - Which one to chose?

Robert Brauer January 16, 2018

Hello All;

We are currently evaluating Jira and thinking of moving to the enterprise edition and still deliberating between Server & Data Center editions.

Ir-respectively, I am interested in understanding what most people choose as the back-end database technology.

• SQL Server would be the obvious
  • MySQL / PostgreSQL seem interesting
  • Oracle is way to expensive

So just curious, who runs what and how did you decide which vendor to go with ... was it cost or just preferred in your company.

And what is performance like on your selected DB technology

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2018

Postgres is probably the most widely used, because of the combination of cost and that Atlassian develop for it first, and use it for Cloud.
I tend to recommend Postgres second, for those reasons, then often MySQL third, Oracle fourth, and MS-SQL last.  I've had poor experiences with all four of them, but MS-SQL has by far given me the most pain over the years.But.  That's for an empty-site recommendation when someone is building a new stack and has not got a preference for some reason.  As Gaston points out, the first choice of database should always be "the one your organisation supports best".

1 vote
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2018

Robert,

Generally, you are not in the liberty of choose what db technology to use, you just go with the db that is being use in production for the company you work with.

I have experience working with large jira instances with sql server and oracle without any problem.

Atlassian usually recommends Postgresql if you can choose, but from my point of view, you need to choose the one of the list of supported dbs that your company uses.

lolotux September 15, 2021

Hi

In generally, the person is doing the migration is an admin sys/net....
He often say his opinion for the best choice! No?

So is there significant difference between MySQL and Postgresql that make choising one and not the other!

Tks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2021

Please see my answer in the other thread, it still stands and answers your question.  As does Gaston's answer

Suggest an answer