Jira Data Centre: Can I update configuration on a single node, then apply to all once tested?

John W December 7, 2020

I have a 2 node Jira DC installation. There is a Change that needs to be done to the authentication, via a 3rd party app. 

My question: Can I isolate a single node, make the configuration alterations, test it, then once happy, turn off the isolation and thus update the whole cluster with zero downtime?

TIA

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2020

Hi John,

while the information on the knowledbase suggest that you do not need to do something special...

Quote:

You will not need to stop the cluster, or bring down any nodes to install or update an app.

... I would spin up a tiny virtual machine, do the testing with a completely non-production environment and probably delete it afterwards.

Testing on a single node of the cluster might look easier but roll-back in case thing go wrong perhaps isn't.

In case the documentation on creating a test environment is of interest for you here is the link:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/creating-a-test-environment-for-jira-966063324.html

In summary: when tasked with this requirement I would test on a very separate environment first.

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer