Jira Dashboard - Request header field exceeds server limit

Michel Marcoux June 12, 2017

I'm using Chrome and I have a lot of gadget text with links on my main jira dashboard. It used to work as expected – I could follow links from Text gadget with no problem. But after adding couple more gadgets to my Dashboard, I started to receive this error trying to open link from the Text gadget:

''Request header field exceeds server limit''

I never saw that before, anyone have an idea whats causing that?

1 answer

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2017

Hi Michael,

I have seen that come up a couple times and it's usually related to a proxy or other network related settings:

• Try clearing your cache and cookies
  • Try a private/incognito window
  • Try another browser
  • If you're using an Apache proxy, try updating the Apache server setting for LimitRequestFieldSize from 8k to 32k (32768)

If that does not work here are a couple places I would start in regards to what is causing this and how to remedy it:

Size of a request header field exceeds server limit due to many If-None-Match values

How to Fix the “400 Bad Request” error message from a website

Bad request - Cookies exceeds server limit for header size (bad browsers doesn't delete expired cookies)

Cheers,

Branden

Michel Marcoux June 12, 2017

Hey thank you for this information, will try that and let you know if it solved the problem :)

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2017

Awesome! Hopefully that helps and you'll be all set. :)

Radu Biolan July 30, 2020

Solved my problem too

Suggest an answer