Jira - Connection Refused from browser every few minutes requiring Jira restart

Mike Zeballos July 27, 2016

It seems that every few minutes I get a connection refused message from my browser, which only can be cleared by stopping and starting Jira.

The connection refused triggers intermittently; for example, I can view a page, but then maybe a minute later that same page won't display on refresh.

I have a fresh installation of JIRA 7.1.9 Software running on a CentOS 6.8 VPS with MySQL 5.6.31.

Observations:

• When I implicitly stop the service after a connection refused error, I see the following message: "

PID file found but no matching process was found. Stop aborted."

Some things I tried:

• Settings in dbconfig.xml to prevent database connection closures;
  • Setting appropriate permissions in installation directory for JIRA config dir
  • Checking firewall rules for incoming/outgoing/forward for port 8080

I can show logs, but not sure which one would be pertinent in this case.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2016

What do the application logs say?  Next time you get this, stop JIRA, go find the <JIRA home>/logs directory and read up from the bottom (probably atlassian-jira.log, but the others might have something).  Same for <JIRA installation>/log - that should have some tomcat logs in it - possibly catalina.out, but again, others in here might tell you a lot too.

I'm expecting some catastrophic error that is stopping the application responding, like an out of memory error

Big thanks for the quick response and advice. I checked server resource usage and I think you're right. I increased resources and will see what happens. I'll be back to accept your answer if it's running smooth.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2016

The logs should contain "out of memory" errors if that's the case, it's well worth checking them, rather than guessing and hoping.

I grep'd the install and app log directories and found no out of memory messages. I wasn't able to find anything that timed with the service going down. But I did find quite a few log entries that referenced allocated memory, values that exceeded my vps limits. The service has been stable since my last post, so I'd like to say your advice resolved it.

Suggest an answer