Jira/Confluence Data Center Edition - Load Balancer Configuration (Source IP Forwarding)

Christian Patterer September 23, 2019

Hello!

We will switch from the Jira and Confluence server edition to the data center edition. As such we will also need to configure a load balancer in front.

I now have a question regarding the load balancer configuration: is it required to enable source IP forwarding? I assume this is not required? Difference is basically if it is not enabled, then Jira/Confluence will always see the IP adress of the load balancer, otherwise it would see the IP of the real client. I would configure the header X-Forwarded-for, so still I would have the information. Does anybody has experience with this?

I did not find any requirement for this but wanted to ensure I do configure it correctly. I definitely need sticky sessions, I will do this.

Any advice is very welcome.

Thanks, Chris

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2019

Your logs will be more useful if you enable it. Otherwise, as you state, all logs will show the load balancer IP address. Make sure you have sticky sessions enabled. You do need that.

Christian Patterer September 23, 2019

Hi! Thanks a lot for your reply, this helps a lot. Not having the IP address in the log is ok for me as I do not really require it. I was just afraid that Jira functionality might require it. Sticky sessions I have on the radar. Thanks again!

Suggest an answer