Jira CLI - How to link a newly created clone

Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2014

Using the CLI, I access a list of issues using a filter. I want to clone those issues and then link the clones to another issue.

I'd like to use runFromIssueList with an action file something like this:

--action cloneIssue --issue @entry@
--action linkIssue --issue TC-2290 --toIssue @issue@ --link "10803"

but, of course I can't because runFromIssueList doesn't assign @entry@, it assigns @issue@, and cloneIssue doesn't appear to assign @issue@ to be used in a later action. I'm happy to do some scripting, but the only way I've found to capture the key of the newly created clone is by parsing the console output, and I sure hope there's a simpler way.

How do I do what I need?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2014
Use @issue@ for the first and @clone@ for the second.
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2014

Thank you. that works perfectly.

Did I miss the documentation for @clone@ somewhere?

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2014

It is hard to find but it is there: Variable replacements

Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2014

Bob. Thanks, as always, for your great support. Yes. I must be blind. It's also on the How To Page. Somehow I missed both of them. I didn't see it listed as a replacement variable on the general command documentation page like the variables are on the run commands, and, apparently, didn't look anywhere else.

Suggest an answer