Jira - Bug Tracking - Create Older Issues

Vishnu PV April 1, 2013

Hello,

I just downloaded Jira to evaluate and use the same if it fits my requirements. Basically it fits most of my expectations and workflow. But i have few older projects with Issues listed in Excel, i would like to add those to Jira with the Created date as stated in excel (Which will be few months or days before). But i could not find an option to create an issue in Jira with the past dates.What ever i create by default it take current date.

Please advice how this can be done, so i can add all my older issues in Jira and see how it helps me.

Thanks,

Vishnu.

2 answers

4 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2013

Hi Vishnu,

There's no way to modify the creation date from a JIRA issue on the interface;

I suggest you to create a Date Picker custom field called "Excel Created Date" and then, on the CSV Import process, map this custom field with the correct row on Excel.

After that you can copy via database the data from the 'Excel Creaed Date' custom field to the 'created' column on the jiraissue table (you can also do it without the custom field, but it will be easier):

jira527=# select * from jiraissue where pkey = 'MTP-1';
  id   | pkey  | project | reporter | assignee | issuetype |    summary    | description | environment | priority | resolution | issuestatus |          created           |          updated           | duedate | resolutiondate | votes | watches | timeoriginalestimate | timeestimate | timespent | workflow_id | security | fixfor | component 
-------+-------+---------+----------+----------+-----------+---------------+-------------+-------------+----------+------------+-------------+----------------------------+----------------------------+---------+----------------+-------+---------+----------------------+--------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+-----------
 10804 | MTP-1 |   10203 | admin    | admin    | 1         | Test issue 01 | asdasdasd   |             | 3        |            | 4           | 2013-02-13 15:22:15.646-02 | 2013-03-29 15:39:31.373-03 |         |                |     0 |       1 |                      |              |           |       10813 |          |        |          
(1 row)

So, the update statement will be something like:

UPDATE jiraissue set created = (
SELECT datevalue from customfieldvalue where issue = (
SELECT id FROM jiraissue where pkey = 'MTP-1')
AND customfield = (
SELECT id FROM customfield where cfname like 'Excel Created Date')
)
where pkey = 'MTP-1';

('MTP-1' is the JIRA issue that I want to modify).

Just remember to perform a database backup before using this SQL.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2013

Hi Lucas, just wondering... It's there any need to vote down the answer?

LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2013

oh, my bad. Sorry for that.

3 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2013

Hi Vishnu, if I remember correctly you can configure your excel file to be a .csv and then do the import.

The first row will be the field and you can specify the column that will be created date so Jira can use that.

Have you read the documentation?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+CSV

I did this to import all the issues from other software (our own software).

Vishnu PV April 3, 2013

Thanks a TON, Lucas & Ramiro. Your inputs really helped me a lot.

-Vishnu

Suggest an answer