Jira Bamboo deployment using git

Rafał Łyczkowski July 15, 2014

Hello,

I'm planning bamboo featured deployment for my project.

I want to deploy my project after a successfull build using REMOTE SSH command which will checkout latest code. But in this approach I feel that I have to receive success msg from git-checkout return and provide it to the deployment task which will flag it pos/neg.

Furthermore, If I want to make a manual deployment based on particulary branch (auto fetched by deployment plan) can I extract this information in my specified deployment task. For example: if I want to deploy branch release/R1-1 I would use the same plan but I want to send a name this branch to the SSH command script which should check it out and return 1; (exit 0; on failure)

More that I think it will be more realiable to tag each build and pull this tag based on particulary build - it enables a rollback to specifiec tag (build), right?

Is this all possible?

What makes the deployment flagged as succeded?

Do particulary deployment tasks return something?

Should I reveive any of success parameter after processing?

exit 0; is the answer? Is this the only posibillity to "send message" to bamboo that deploy fails?

1 answer

0 votes
Radek Antoniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2014

Hello Rafał,

Yes, Bamboo tasks, whatever if they are in normal build plans or deployment projects are failing or suceeding depending on the exit status. In other words, 0 is green, anything else is red.

Now, from your questions, it seems that you need to read exactly how Bamboo Build plans and Deployment plans work. Especially, you need to understand that you should deploy artifacts instead of checking out source code on some remote machine. Those should help:

Anyhow, if you would really want to do this, you can use for example a git-ftp configuration to checkout the files remotely via an SSH Bamboo task.

Hope that helps,

Radek

Suggest an answer