Jira Backup Alternative Options

Philip Ianni August 26, 2015

Hello, 

We are working on several projects related to Jira.

Due to recent problems we've decided to explore alternative ways of backing up JIRA. 

Currently we have set up a POC environment on its own, duplicated our production database and pointed it over the POC. Everything up to that points works fine. (User database/logins work, basic information accessible...) Because we have not copied and application-data, we still cannot see our tickets. I have tried copying over the application-data folder over to the POC, however JIRA locks when I try to start it. 

Does anyone know a solution to this problem OR a better way of "manually" backing up and importing (instead of using import/export xml's)? 

4 answers

0 votes
Philip Ianni August 27, 2015

I did, there are other files that are important however. I was able to copy over all over application-data and start jira, there are minor things like priority icons that reside in the installation directory. Is there a list of all custom files in the install directory?

0 votes
michael_ngangom
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2015

Hello Philip,

Take a DB dump as a backup.

0 votes

What Im looking for specifically a way to restore from production backups. 

Fresh install JIRA, then import dbdump, configure fresh JIRA to look at new db, then cp  - r application-data/data to the new installation. This does not work .

0 votes

Ie, is possible that on a fresh server we also copy over the installation directory and just start/resinstall jira

Suggest an answer