Jira Azure SSL and availability

Joakim Bergquist March 27, 2018

Two things, 

We redeployed Jira a couple of times on Azure now with the Atlassian template. Rebooting the cluster nodes will cause Jira not to start up again. 

I Can ssh to the Jumpbox, but where should I go to manually control services like starting tomcat for example? and is there any best practice in making it start the services by default? 

The environment is up and running again from a new deployment, however now to my second issue. Trying to modify/add an certificate to the keystore. So same question again, I can access the jumpbox but I understand I need to ssh to other resources from the jumpbox to access the not shared resources is that right? Where do I find that? 

Or am I doing it all wrong? I was thinking that the app gateway was supposed to handle reverse proxy functionality and that the certificate should be added here? However the gateway is configured with port 8080 and I am accessing Jira on port 80. And tried to change to port 443 and add the certificate but no luck there either. 

I only have one linux VM and that is the Jiranat. 

Please help, new to Azure and Jira. 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2018

First thing:  To start Jira as a service in a Linux OS, I would recommend following this guide:  Starting JIRA Automatically on Linux.

As for using SSL with Jira, it depends on where you want to terminate SSL.   Most of the documented guides for using Jira with SSL and some other proxy/load balancer in front of Jira will tend to recommend terminating SSL on that proxy.  In these examples, Jira defaults to using port 8080 via its Tomcat instance.  But if you're access the site on either port 80 or 443 in this scenario then we know that there is some other redirect happening because of a reverse proxy, port forwarding, iptable rules, etc.

I would recommend checking out Integrating JIRA with Apache using SSL.   Even if the Azure environment is not using Apache, it might be helpful to understand the concepts in this guide and then see if you can apply them to this kind of environment.

Suggest an answer