[Jira Automation] Summary of Epics ticket on a project board

tinnt January 11, 2022

As an Product Security Officer, my main job is to giving solution/recommendation for development team on a related security ticket. But as the company grows, does the scope of my work expands too. 

My need is as below to a basic slack message(output):

• Epic issue 1
    • Story: Todo ticket: 12
    • Story: In-progress ticket: 0
    • Storu: Closed ticket: 25
  • Epic issue 2
    • Story: Todo ticket: 14
    • Story: In-progress ticket: 10
    • Storu: Closed ticket: 0

As I involved in the Jira Automation, I found that it's really complicated if only using Jira Automation, and Jira Rest API is out of the question because of the infrastructure complexity. Anyone have any ideas?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2022

Hi @tinnt -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Would you please clarify your need/use case? 

Your explanation of "giving solution/recommendation for development team on a related security ticket" does not match where you seem to show an open-ended list of epics with child issue counts by status category.  How will the second one help do the first thing?

If the list of epics is not an open-ended set (or you can mark issues somehow), you may want to consider using:

• dashboards and gadgets to summary the statuses of the epics' children
  • saved JQL filter subscriptions
  • automation for Jira to sum up the counts (into created variables) and then send the Slack message
  • investigate purchase of marketplace addon apps to improve reporting/dashboard information

Kind regards,
Bill

tinnt January 11, 2022

Sorry for that. As "giving solution/recommendation", I need to have a clear view of not only business logic of the product, but also the technology stack that product use. In order to have a clear view, I need to join at a deeper level in the SDLC, not only detecting security issues, but also joining as a "developer" for secure coding. And to join as a developer role, I need to know about what I'm going to do, what planning the leader is giving, etc.

And my issue here, it's not only 1 product, I mean there's a lot. So I need to have an overview of the current progression/planning of each product, as fear of missing out. So to be more specific, I need an output as describe above:

Project 1:

• Epic 1:
    • Story: To Do: 10
    • Story: In Progress: 9
    • Story: Closed:0
  • Epic 2:
    • Story: To Do: 3
    • Story: In Progress: 5
    • Story: Closed:10

Project 2:

• Epic 1:
    • Story: To Do: 5
    • Story: In Progress: 15
    • Story: Closed:0
  • Epic 2:
    • Story: To Do: 4
    • Story: In Progress: 5
    • Story: Closed:5

Regards,

Tin.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2022

Thanks for that information.  You could do that with the out-of-the-box features of saved filters and a dashboard.

1. Create a JQL filter for your Project 1, returning the issues you want
  2. Save the filter
  3. Create a dashboard, and add the Two-Dimensional Filter Statistics Gadget
  4. Select your Epic Link field as the y-axis and Status as the x-axis
  5. Create additional filters for each project, and add an additional gadget to see that project's issues
  6. If you need other people to see this information, you may adjust the permissions of the saved filters and dashboard

Here is some documentation to get you started:

Create and edit dashboards | Jira Software Cloud | Atlassian Support

Use dashboard gadgets | Atlassian Support

Like tinnt likes this
tinnt January 13, 2022

Thanks very much for your help, this is all I need. Didn't think that the solution could be solve this way.

image.png

Like # people like this
0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 12, 2022

Hi @tinnt 

Welcome to the community !!

If you are open for a third party app, you can try out our plugin to get this data.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree, Links Tree and Time in Status 

The screen shot below shows the statuses of Child Tickets at each parent level.

There are multiple other important features which the app provides as below.

1) Links/Portfolio/Advanced Roadmaps Hierarchy :- View/Manage roll up for hierarchy (up to 10 levels), based on your Portfolio/Advanced Roadmaps/Issue Links parent child relationship.

2) Epic Hierarchy :- View/Manage roll up for standard Jira hierarchy. Epic -> User Story -> Subtask

3) Time in Status :- More than 7 types of Time in Status reports to track your issues.

4) Worklogs Report :- Track time spent by resources with multiple filters / category / grouping features

5) Timesheet :- View/Enter your time spent for multiple days

Epic Hierarchy Child Statuses.PNG

Thanks

Rahul

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events