Jira Agile - cannot rank issues even with Schedule Issue permission

I want to allow members of a specific project role ("Product Owners") to re-order issues in the backlog in JIRA Agile.

I have added the "Schedule Issues" permission to the "Product Owners" role in my permission scheme. I've checked that the user I'm testing with does have the "Schedule Issues" permission on the projects associated with the board; however, when trying to re-order the backlog this user gets the message "You do not have permission to edit this issue."

My boards are all Scrum boards, and I am using JIRA 6.0.8 with JIRA Agile 6.3.13.1.

According to the following document https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/What+are+the+permissions+used+in+Agile+Boardsthe user should just have the 'schedule permission', I can resolve it by giving them the edit permission as well but then this allows them to add issues to sprints - which is less than ideal.

I've missed something with the configuration of the board or permissions perhaps - any help appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Timothy Chin Community Champion Jul 06, 2014

Well, if you can't edit the issue, you can't change the Rank value of the issue. So, I think you're are going to have to give the edit permission on the issue.

Fair enough, I thought it was the case but no harm is asking ... the doco didn't really seem to clear it up for me.

Those that rank should not by default also be those that add/remove from a sprint - can cause no end of pain and general havoc. Ideally there should be a separate permission (rank) but as that is core I doubt it will change.

Off to find a tool that works for me.

Thanks for helping me out Timothy.

I have the same issue but I am able to edit the issue. I am also the Assignee and Reporter on the issue. My permissions are part of every project role allowed to Schedule issue. I don't know what the issue is.Schedule error.JPG

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

59 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you