Jira Agile and Jira Service Desk

Christian Stöhr July 29, 2015
  • On de.atlassian.com/Software/jira/try I can try JIRA Agile OR JIRA Service Desk.
    Can I use both together in production mode?
  • Can JIRA Service Desk automatically create issues from incoming emails from customers?
  • Does every customer need a personal account that is subtracted from the total number of users?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2015
  1. You can install one of them, and add the other later.  (Or, just get JIRA and add both addons later)
  2. Yes.  (Nice short accurate and to-the-point answer there, but I always talk too much and want to point you at  https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/SERVICEDESK/Receiving+requests+by+email for more detail)
  3. No.  But yes.  Sort of.

JIRA (and for that matter most Atlassian applications) have a simple way to count users against licences.  If you can log in as a user, you count towards the licence.

However, that model does not work for Service Desks.  You might be supporting 1,000 people in the organisation, 200 of whom are developers, but you only have 5 people on the helpdesk.  Licencing 800 people for full JIRA access that they simply won't use is not fair (or cheap).  So Service Desk does "Agents".  For the example I've just given, you would need:

• JIRA for 250 users (the licences are tiered, for 200 users, you need to be on the 250 tier)
  • Service Desk would need 5 agents (note that agents also consume JIRA licences, they have to be part of the 250)
  • 800 customers.  But customer accounts are free, so you don't care.  Worry about the Agents wink
  • (Oh, and Agile if you want it, would need to match the JIRA licence - 250)
0 votes
Christian Stöhr July 29, 2015

Thank you very much for your answers!

Suggest an answer