Jira Agile Workflow and multiple statuses per column

james8aus February 11, 2015

I am using JIRA Agile 6.4.2 and have created a custom workflow that a team is using. I have a number of statuses which are "In Progress" and I currently assign a single status to each column on the board. What I want to do is have multiple statuses per column.

Simplified example:

Column1 has 2 statuses called "Build" and "Test". I want to be able to transition between those two statuses within Column1. 

My workflow does allow for transitions between the statuses (it works great if you keep one status to one column). It just doesn't work if i put two statuses into one column. By saying "not work" i mean the status doesn't even show up even though its assigned to the column. I can't figure out how to get this working?

My workflow is custom, its not using the "Agile Simplified Workflow"

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

cheers
James

3 answers

1 vote
Damon Gaylor February 12, 2015

James,

This may not be the best answer, but if you click on the issue, then type "." to bring up the action dropdown you can start typing the transition name and then select it.  

Does having the two statuses in one column really add value to the team?  

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2015

I think it does because it allows Agile board to present summarized views of your work

0 votes
felix.weber November 15, 2021

just to update - even in 2021 this is still not possible: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-3573

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2015

This is a long standing design flaw in the Agile addon.  It does not support "move between status in the same column".  

To get it working, you'd need to re-code part of Agile.  Atlassian have said they are not going to do the work to enable this (despite around 200 requests in their issue tracker asking for it)

The closest I can get to a workaround is "use the keyboard shortcuts", but that feels inadequate to me.

james8aus February 12, 2015

Thanks for your response Nic. My jaw dropped when i read it. Any chance you could you post a link to the request (issue link)?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2015

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-3573 was the first one reported that I know of. project = GHS AND text ~ "column status" Will find you a load more in there, all closed with "not going to fix this" type comments

Like felix.weber likes this
james8aus February 12, 2015

Thanks Nic

Suggest an answer