Jira - Adding an "other" option to a custom field

Michelle Pietras April 25, 2017

Hello Atlassian Community,

I need to add a checkbox field (or anything with multiple choices) with an "other" option - but will need to include a line to fill in the value for "other".   Is this possible, if so, how? 

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2017

You can't do it natively, there's no such field type in JIRA.

Your options are to

• Find or write such a field type as an add-on
  • Use a labels field (no drop-down, but suggests existing items when users start typing)
  • Code around two fields in JIRA - one drop-down, the other a text field, using something like Behaviours to hide the second field until "other" is selected and then coding some stuff to add the value added to the second field on the issue being saved
Michelle Pietras April 25, 2017

Thanks Nic

Karen Rodriguez May 15, 2018

Thank you Nic! , Your solution resolves having a place for the user to enter the "other" information, and I would like to add a tweak to this case:

I have a checkbox for impacted systems, our Analyst will chose those that apply but we often times have new systems impacted.  I want to keep the naming consistent for reporting purpose downstream, therefore I prefer the checkbox field.

If I use your solution, with a second field to capture the "extra" systems that are not listed in the checkbox options,  Is there a way to add the content in the second text field back into the checkbox or drop-down list of options when either saving the issue, moving it to next status, or any other issue event without involving programming?

Appreciate any hints! 

Suggest an answer