Jira - Access permission per user

Aviv Cohen November 28, 2017

Hi,

I'm new in Jira. My question related to count of licenses allocation 

I'm using Active Directory to manage my users/group and upload them in Jira.

What I'm trying to understand is if I can use single license for LDAP group that holds count of users or each user in this LDAP group holds license ?

Is it bound to Jira app configuration? If does, how do I control it? 

Also, is user subscription in Jira related to time interval? I.e., if user that have license didn't logged-in for period of time, license remove from this user?

I hope I make myself clear :) 

10x in advance 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2017

Hello,

Users are licensed if they are granted certain groups. By default there are the following groups for each application:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-groups-802592332.html

That is why if a user from Active Directory is granted one of the groups in the reference above the user will take a license. In order to free a license you need remove a user from a certain group. If a user is not granted any group, then the user does not take a license. Licenses are not removed if a user has not logged in for some time. 

Aviv Cohen December 2, 2017

Tnx @Alexey Matveev for the input

I guess that I cannot perform ATM what I'm wishing for :|

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2017

No, the licence model is simple - you allow for X users, and name them by putting them in a group.  The people in the group count towards your licence.

Aviv Cohen December 3, 2017

Tnx @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

So, nothing I can do to avoid license for each user

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2017

No, that's what you are paying the licence for.  Users.

Aviv Cohen December 3, 2017

Tnx @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- for the input :) 

Suggest an answer