It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira 8.4.1 Server - GC Allocation Failure with adjusted settings Edited

I wanted to run a personal Jira Instance and attempted the installation of 8.4.1 on AWS using a free tier.  Running was slow and there were a lot of GC Allocation Failure errors.  I've adjusted the JVM Max to make sure it was below the available memory and the same issue.   In the setenv.sh I lowered it to 768MB the minumum and also tried ~900MB but the same issues kept persisting. 

This isn't on an upgraded instance with hundreds of users, it is a brand new install.  I attempted it initially on RHEL, then on the Amazon AMI Linux.  I then even tried a Google Cloud Compute Engine of Ubuntu with 1.7GB of RAM and was still getting similar issues.  I don't know if this is a known bug in 8.4.1 or not.  If it is I hope this gets to the proper people.  I'm going to try 8.3.2 on an AWS instance and see if that will work better.  

Sorry if this is in the wrong place for this type of issue.

UPDATE:  Just to let you know on Google Cloud with the more RAM it would get further, but would still eventually wind up with GC Allocation Errors.  I'm assuming the addition 700MB of RAM was the cause of allowing me to get further.  It completed setup and got me to the login screen but then became almost unusable afterwards, constantly hanging up and even locking the server.

1 answer

1 accepted

OKAY Major update.  I got 8.3.2 running on an AMI Linux Instance.  Through looking at some logs, it looks like main issue that the old limit of 768M for a server installation is correct but also relies on a swap partition.  I believe that both Google Cloud Engine and AMI's don't initialize with a default swap partition for the extra memory usage.  Although it does seem weird that 8.4.1 even with 1.75GB of RAM still had some issues.  So you can run Jira off a free tier of Amazon, it just requires a little more configuration.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

365 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you