Jira 7 CAS Authentication - How to Direct to CAS Rather Than Jira Login

Hi, all-- I have CAS authentication working with Jira 7, but if a user is not authentication via CAS and hits our Jira URL, they see a login dialog and have to click on the 'Login' link in the top right-hand corner of the page in order to log in via CAS.

In our previous Jira installation (version 6), users were immediately directed to the CAS login page when hitting the Jira URL if they weren't already authenticated.

So: how do I accomplish this? I'm comparing the configuration between our previous installation and this one, and can't seem to figure out how this was being accomplished.  I had come across a tutorial on the Web that seems to indicate that setting 'login.url' in seraph-config.xml to the CAS login URL would do the trick (<param-name>login.url</param-name>), but it hasn't worked for me.

Thanks!

Bryan

2 answers

0 votes

Hi Bryan,

I found an article from one of our Silver Solution partners Ascend Integrated that may help as well titled Integrating JIRA and SSO Using CAS.  This shows the modifications needed to web.xml, seraph-config.xml and the jar files need to make this work.

There are about four places you need to put your CAS information according to this document.  In addition there a some modifications to web.xml just above the “THIS MUST BE THE LAST FILTER IN THE DEFINED CHAIN” comment that need to be added to make this work.

Please review Integrating JIRA and SSO Using CAS and let us know if you need any further assistance. 

Cheers,

Branden

Yes, these are some of the instructions I was following.  CAS login works just fine-- but you have to click on the 'login' button in the top-right corner of the page to get to CAS login, rather than being directed there automatically if you aren't already authenticated.

It's very confusing as it stands now, because users are seeing a Jira login screen when they navigate to Jira, and think that that is where they should login.

I'll double-check everything-- maybe I missed something.

Agreed!  You can set jira.disable.login.gadget = true, but never the less, you still need to have an extra click on the top-right corner of the page to actually get logged in.  No credentials are required, but it's the extra click that is confusing for users.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,026 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot