Jira 7.6 live monitoring with JMX

Juan November 22, 2017

Hi all.
I have Jira running on version 7.4.3. I'd like to use JMX monitoring Mbeans to collect some metrics.
I've read it could be possible adding some extra args on setenv.sh script. Nevertheless I've received a mail about new features on Jira 7.6 version with Live monitoring using the JMX interface available
Jira 7.6 release notes
What's the difference with previous versions? I assume it was available before with that extra args.... Maybe it's related you can activate JMX live monitoring from admin web console without restarting the app?
Thanks in advance for your help.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Eduard M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2017

Hi Juan,

For JMX remote you will need to open the port in tomcat (setenv). However you can do local monitoring if you have the full jdk installed on the server, without opening jmx port. 

In 7.4.3 you can do JVM/tomcat monitoring. In the new version there are also the mbeans specific to jira, and it's enabled from the settings to gather metrics:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/live-monitoring-using-the-jmx-interface-939707304.html

The instructions at the bottom of that page show how to enable JMX access. Hope this helps.

Juan November 23, 2017

Thanks Eduard. Very helpful your answer. 

Cheers.

Emmanuel Nzerem June 11, 2020

i am working on enabling JMX on my jira but when i type the jconsole command to start it nothing happens, i believe a new window should open. i really need to get this working because our Jira is always slow and this is my first task for my company. i have done everything on the documentation on cloud jira because we are using ec2 instance. Please any help will be appreciated.

Suggest an answer