Jira 6.2 version is slower than 5.2 version

Kapeel Maheshwari March 6, 2014

Hi,

I have installed Jira 5.2 version on Test environment and did lot of customization and also imported lot of project from existing bug tracking system into Jira. System is working perfectly fine and there is no sign of slowness in the system.

In Production environment I just installed the Jira 6.2 and observing lot of delay(slowness) b/w the screen. I just created few projects which have only 200 bugs.

Both system are using linux and SQL server db. Min/Max JVMmemory is set to 4060MB on both the system and permgen size is set to 512MB.

only difference I see is the jdk version. Test environment hs open jdk version 1.6 where as production environment is running JDK 1.7 .

Please suggest how to fix it.

4 answers

0 votes
Kapeel Maheshwari March 13, 2014

Hi Nic,

I am still facing the issue. Anything else you want me to take a look.

0 votes
Kapeel Maheshwari March 10, 2014

Thanks Nic for reply.

I enabled the safe mode but still I see the same issue.

0 votes

Hi Nic,

Can you please tell me which log should i take a look. I can see multiple logs at following paths

/opt/atlassian/jira/logs

1. catalina.out
  2. catalina.2014-03-10.log

/var/atlassian/application-data/jira/log

1. atlassian-jira.log

This is the error message I am observing in "Catalina.out". I Enabled the logging and found a very big list of jars that were scanned but no TLDs were found in them. I don't know what will happen if i will skip all of them.Please suggest

Mar 10, 2014 1:46:12 PM org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache tldScanJar

INFO: At least one JAR was scanned for TLDs yet contained no TLDs. Enable debug logging for this logger for a complete list of JARs that were scanned but no TLDs were found in them. Skipping unneeded JARs during scanning can improve startup time and JSP compilation time.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2014

It's pretty much all of the logs, so you're looking in the right place.

There's nothing obvious standing out though, so I would take a look at plugins next.

Go into the UPM and enable "safe mode". This will turn off all your plugins, and if it runs better with them all disabled, then you know it's one of them. You can turn them back on one-by-one to see where the slowness occurs.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2014

There's a number of things it could be, but I'd start with the JDK - Jira 6.2 is only supported on 1.7. It might work fine on 1.6. Or not. But it's not tested on 1.6, it's not written for 1.6 and it's not compiled with 1.6.

So your first step is to move to JDK 1.7 - whatever problem you report with 1.6, the answer is going to be "not supported, use 1.7"

Hi Nic, I really appreciate your response and just want to clarify that I am already using Jdk1.7 on jira 6.2 version.

Here is the more information

Test Machine(Working perfectly fine)

1. Jira version 5.2
  2. JDK 1.6( opne jdk)
  3. Linux Red hat version 5.5
  4. JVM MIN and MAX: 4060MB
  5. PermGen: 512MB

Production Machine(slow and taking lot of time during navigating through different screens)

1. Jira version 6.2
  2. JDK 1.7( Oracle)
  3. Linux Red hat version 6.3
  4. JVM MIN and MAX: 4060MB
  5. PermGen: 512MB

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2014

Ah, ok, my apologies, I assumed you had ugraded test first because that's what it's for - finding problems like this before you go live.

You're going to need to start digging into the guts of it - what else is different on the machines (RHEL version shouldn't matter). Are there errors in the logs? What config have you done? Does an empty Jira 6.2 have the same problems?

Suggest an answer