Jira 6.2-Hide/remove resolution for a single project

Sred May 10, 2016

Good afternoon,

I am trying to come up with a way of hiding or removing the Resolution field from appearing in JIRA when viewing a JIRA Issue. We have built a custom workflow with custom fields, so we do not use the "Resolution" field for anything (in this specific project). everything I have been reading is that this is not able to be accomplished, although for different versions of JIRA (5.2 etc). Is there a way in 6.2 to remove/hide this field? I have already removed "Resolution" from the screen configuration, but it still appears.

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2016

Have you tried hiding it in the field configuration?

>we do not use the "Resolution" field for anything

Ah, that's going to break the standard reporting.  If you don't use the resolution field, JIRA doesn't know when an issue is done.  Even if you hide it, you need to set it.

Sred May 10, 2016

Wouldn't hiding it in the field configuration affect all of our other projects that do rely on the resolution field? I saw that as a viable option until I read someone state that this caused multiple issues on other projects that relied on this field.

We have a custom field that we track for the status, so the "Resolution" field is always in an Unresolved state (custom filters for reporting).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2016

No.  You can have different field configurations for different projects, and even issue types within projects.

>We have a custom field that we track for the status, so the "Resolution" field is always in an Unresolved state

That's really not a good way to handle it.  Use the resolution properly (At least until Atlassian deal with the issue that it's a bit of a rubbish way to do it)

Sred May 10, 2016

Ahh I see now, field configurations for default fields in Jira, are handled on a Project by Project scheme. Thank you, that resolved my issue completely.

I agree that we should have used the resolution field, but that choice was not mine to make.

Thank you for the help! It is greatly appreciated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2016

Ah, good smile
I'd still have a few words with whomever made the really bad decision, but that's just me (heck, you can still hide it, even if you set it in workflow)

Sred May 10, 2016

That is probably what I will push for. At least setting the field via "Post-functions" to allow easier reports to be created. Thanks.

Suggest an answer