Jira 6.2 Disable Comments on Closed issues

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2015

Hi,

I would like to disable all users from commenting on an issue when the status is set to CLOSED?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2015

You can use a workflow property - it's the same trick as stopping people from editing closed issues.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Workflow+properties  (it's for the most recent Jira, but the comment property has been there since at least v4, and the principles have not changed)

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2015

I did try this, but could not get it to work? Property: jira.permission.comment.user Value: denied OR Property: jira.permission.comment.denied Value: true and a few other examples - But nothing could disable me from commenting?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2015

That's odd, your first one should work - it's working for me in a 6.3 installation You might want to raise this with Atlassian support, as you're doing everything right.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2015

So by adding Property: jira.permission.comment.user Value: denied to the Closed status all jira-users should not be able to add any comments right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2015

Yes, you've got that right. I don't know why it is not working.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2015

Hmmm.... No it's not working, I will check with Atlassian if it is indeed a bug from their side. Thanks

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2015

Okay, I seem to have added it to the wrong workflow, due to many similar workflows being on the same project. My fault! Since it's working now, How can I notify the commenter/reporter when their comment fails due to the issue being closed?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2015

Ahh wrong workflow, exactly what I did this morning too. I don't think you need to notify them - the flag should remove the comment box completely, so they can't enter a comment.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2015

haha...happens. Alright, So the scenario goes as follows, we have a business user, who only communicates via email, so they add comments via email - these users typically don't even log into JIRA. So if they try comment on an issue that is closed, they will have no way of knowing their comment got ignored by JIRA email handler? Any advice?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2015

Bother, via email, of course. I really have not had enough coffee this morning. Off the shelf, I can't think of a way to do this. Deep in my past though, this was one of two reasons I wrote an email handler for Jira - it would respond to incoming emails with "sorry, couldn't comment".

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2015

Lol sorry my bad - Could you perhaps share your knowledge on such mail handler?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2015

I haven't got a lot really, this was for Jira 3, and I just followed the developer guide at the time. The more recent one is at https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Message+Handler+Plugin+Module

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2015

Thanks

0 votes
Hangsu Ma
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2016

Just in case you dont fancy develop your own mail handler. This function is now available in latest version of EMH 1.5.4

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/biz.beag.jira.mailer/server/overview

Be aware this is a commercial plugin!

Suggest an answer