Jira 6.2.4 installer on CentOS 6 has some problems

whereisaaron May 3, 2014

I can't find Jira support so I'll try reporting here. I completed (I think) a test install of Jira 6.2.4 using the Linux installer on a stock CentOS 6 on AWS c3.large instance, but it wasn't easy. I got stalled three times and had to search the net for workarounds.

1) The first big problem when configuring the database (MySQL). It took a long time, then at the end it dies with:

Unable to find ActiveObjects plugin. The plugin must be enabled for the restore to work.

Other people report this is due to using Tomcat 7.x but if so why does the installer ship with 7.x?

After a restart I was able to resume, but I'm not clear if the database was fully configured or how to find out? I could just start over but seems like I'll hit the same error

2) After restarting, Jira cashed on start with things like:

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:
Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)
Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)
Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Quick Edit Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-quick-edit-plugin)

I was able to work around this by increasing the plugin time-out to 600 seconds (atlassian.plugins.enable.wait).
3) I selected to install Jira as a service, but the init.d script installed is not chkconfig compatible. And dumps out heaps of text and ASCII art when you run it, which it not friendly for scripting.
The example in the documentation is better.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA062/Starting+JIRA+Automatically+on+Linux

So it is running, but rough going.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2014

I'd raise this with Atlassian support, as these problems really shouldn't occur - try support.atlassian.com(for licenced customers) or jira.atlassian.com(for the public tracker which isn't support, but is good for issues in general and improvement requests like "better scripting and chkconfig support")

Suggest an answer