Jira 6.2.4 installer on CentOS 6 has some problems

I can't find Jira support so I'll try reporting here. I completed (I think) a test install of Jira 6.2.4 using the Linux installer on a stock CentOS 6 on AWS c3.large instance, but it wasn't easy. I got stalled three times and had to search the net for workarounds.

1) The first big problem when configuring the database (MySQL). It took a long time, then at the end it dies with:

Unable to find ActiveObjects plugin. The plugin must be enabled for the restore to work.

Other people report this is due to using Tomcat 7.x but if so why does the installer ship with 7.x?

After a restart I was able to resume, but I'm not clear if the database was fully configured or how to find out? I could just start over but seems like I'll hit the same error

2) After restarting, Jira cashed on start with things like:

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:
Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)
Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)
Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Quick Edit Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-quick-edit-plugin)

I was able to work around this by increasing the plugin time-out to 600 seconds (atlassian.plugins.enable.wait).
3) I selected to install Jira as a service, but the init.d script installed is not chkconfig compatible. And dumps out heaps of text and ASCII art when you run it, which it not friendly for scripting.
The example in the documentation is better.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA062/Starting+JIRA+Automatically+on+Linux

So it is running, but rough going.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

I'd raise this with Atlassian support, as these problems really shouldn't occur - try support.atlassian.com(for licenced customers) or jira.atlassian.com(for the public tracker which isn't support, but is good for issues in general and improvement requests like "better scripting and chkconfig support")

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,317 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot