Jira 6.1.4 install on same postgreSQL 9.3 database but different schema

Đorđe November 26, 2013

Hi,

Because of enterprise policies I tried to install two jira instances on same postgre database but different schemas. At the moment when I am supposed to save admin user I get following java exception:

java.lang.RuntimeException: com.atlassian.jira.exception.CreateException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.OperationFailedException: No Crowd Application available. at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.SetupAdminAccount.doExecute(SetupAdminAccount.java:184)

Are there any special requirements for this scenario?

Thank you.

4 answers

0 votes
Adrian Moerchen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2014

You may try https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Using+the+JIRA+Configuration+Toolto test the connection to the correct schema.

0 votes
Đorđe November 27, 2013

I checked that with my collegues at least five times. Another interesting point is that we already have third instance running under different schema on same database, but that is upgrade from version 5.

DB Name: jiradatabase

jira instance _____ db role ________schema

jiraService _____ jiraService _____ jiraService

jiraTest _________jiradb_________ test

jiraProd _________jiraProd _______prod

Is there maybe rule about same name for role and schema?

Thank you for your help.

Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2014

Hi Dorde,

May I know how everything's going? Did you manage to resolve the issue somehow? Did you discover any relationships between jira instance, db role and schema?

Is jiraProd the first instance that worked and jiraTest the second that didn't work at first? How about jiraService?

Thanks in advance!

0 votes
Đorđe November 27, 2013

But I do not have any kind of LDAP authentication.

If I install two JIRA instances on separate databases everything is working just fine.

I think that somehow Jira is messing data from different database schemas.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2013

It very much sounds like it. Are the two settings definitely pointing at completely different schema?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2013

That's not really much to do with the database, it's telling you the authentication stuff is broken. You don't need anything special for your situation (many places run one database with several applications using it for their data store)

You probably need to look into the log a bit more. But have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+is+Unable+to+Connect+to+Crowd+due+to+Application+failed+to+authenticate to start with.

Suggest an answer