Jira - 6.0 - How to configure logic between two fields

Daniel Jaskiewicz September 25, 2013

Hi Everyone,

I am inquirying about the ability to associate two JIRA custom fields by adding logic in order to provide a short list of results. I believe an example is the best way forward to show what I am after:

Custom Field 1 - select list type (which has options a,b,c,d)

Custom Field 2 - select list type (which has options e,f,g,h)

I would like to implement an association/logic that would allow that when a user selects Field 1 value = 'a' then field 2 would present only values e,f which are predefined associations.

Real life example:
When selecting Component = Server then the affects version would only display valid server releases within a particular project.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2013

Cascading Select CF Type can fulfill your requirement as Nic suggested.

#1 you go to Admin->Customfields->Add Customfield->Cascading Select->Next

#2 you give name and associate it for which issuetypes and projects, it is required then press Next

#3 associate to the screens and press Update. you can find your customfield in the list.

#4 Go to your customfield and select the Configure under the Cog dropdpwn.

#5 click Edit Options, you give a,b,c,d values by selecting Edit Parent select list

#6 you configue each option for a,b,c,d by clicking configure link

0 votes
Daniel Jaskiewicz September 26, 2013

Thank You Nic and Bharadwaj for the tips, the Cascading Select Type is exactly what I am looking for, but I apparently did not mentioned that I would require the Cascading lists to be 4-5 levels deep.
Seems there are some commercial plugins in the marketplace like https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.sourcesense.jira.plugin.cascadingselect

but would expect this to be part of the core library. If you have come across a free version that extends the 2 level cascading select you please let me know

Thanks again

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2013

The behaviour you describe is what a "cascading select" custom field is for. You don't need any code or complexity to make that work

Tieing other fields together is a different matter though. Component -> affects version is something you'll need to code for yourself, with either javascript or even a full on plugin to do it for you.

Suggest an answer