Jira 5 Rest API, manage email template to change Jira link to custom application link

Sapna Talreja August 5, 2013

Hi,

I am using rest api, to manage jira issue from my application(xyz.com). I would like to know, is there any way, by which I can change links to redirect to my application xyz.com, rather than Jira link.

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2013

I'm not sure what the question is here, as I'm not at all clear on what you're trying to do.

I can try to explain some stuff that might help. Jira sends emails out. These link back to Jira, as they are about Jira issues. Jira has a "base url", which is set to the root of where you want to land when clicking on a link in the emails. You can change that if you want, but it will break some stuff if it is not set to the correct root of Jira.

I think I need help understanding - where are you seeing these urls that you want to change? Why do you want to change them to your application, when they are about Jira issues?

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually, I have a portal, and user has option to raise ticket. I am using JIRA for ticket management,

I have used Jira REST API, for creating and managing issue from my app itself. So in other words, a user can raise issue from my app, rather than from Jira interface.

I am seeing Jira URL's in notification mail being sent to user, I want Jira app URL to be replaced by my URL's.

I hope, I am clear, if you need any other information, please do let me know.

Thanks,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2013

Yes, that's cleared it up I think. Sorry I didn't get it the first time.

The short answer is a simple "no". The reason is partly what I wrote before - Jira uses the base url in the emails and if you change that to point at your portal instead of Jira, then people and systems integration will land on the portal instead of Jira (This could actually break your REST stuff as well). So I'd rule out a change of base url completely.

But, yes, you could customise *just* your emails. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Customising+Email+Content - this talks about adding custom fields and rearranging stuff, but your requirement is a little different - you'll want to look for and replace anywhere it uses "base url" in the body of the email.

There is one gotcha here - ALL your outgoing emails will point at the portal. If I were inside your organisation and using Jira as a developer, I'd be immensely frustrated that emails were pointing to the wrong place - they really should point at Jira. I don't know your organisation or usage of course, so that's a human thing you'll need to consider.

0 votes

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually, I have a portal, and user has option to raise ticket. I am using JIRA for ticket management,

I have used Jira REST API, for creating and managing issue from my app itself. So in other words, a user can raise issue from my app, rather than from Jira interface.

I am seeing Jira URL's in notification mail being sent to user, I want Jira app URL to be replaced by my URL's.

I hope, I am clear, if you need any other information, please do let me know.

Thanks,

Suggest an answer