Jira 5.26 instance very slow

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2013

Hi,

Hoping the wise ones here can help me. I am getting ready to lauch a new version of jira, and it is is acting very slow -- and there aren't even any users accessing the system yet.

Certain http requests are taking much longer than expected:

/s/en_USf3k8mw$$$$/_/download/superbatch/js/batch.js GET  -- 9146ms

/s/en_USf3k8mw$$$$d3d49dd56d55c007565c6e774254b4c/_/download/contextbatch/js/gh-rapid-config,greenhopper-rapid-non-gadget,atl.general/batch.js GET -- 8967ms

/plugins/servlet/streams ajax GET -- 6312ms

/s/en_USknp5do$$$$.0/_/download/batch/jira.webresources:global-static/jira.webresources:global-static.css GET -- 6286ms

/s/en_USf3k8mw$$$$eab585c7f973e84bcf76796bf7c93e/_/download/contextbatch/js/gh-rapid/batch.js GET --4678ms

/s/en_USknp5do$$$$/_/download/superbatch/css/batch.css GET -- 3458ms

/issues/ GET -- 3281ms

/secure/admin/WebSudoAuthenticate.jspa POST -- 2473ms

various stats:

operating system: rhel 6.1 VMware image

-XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Xms8192m -Xmx20480m

database -- mysql -- operating on separate vmware host

authenticating via crowd 2.6 -- on separate vm host in a DMZ

using apache 2.2 mod_proxy

180k issues

300+/- custom fields

1900 users...

116 projects...

Tomcat and db have no real load. Just experiencing general slowness.

Any tips much appreciated. I know VMs are generally not a great idea with Jira, but I am dealt the cards I am dealt. ;)

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2013

Turns out several things were going on:

1. VM settings wrong. We accidentally had memory resource limits in place, which was causing ballooning.

2. our jvm was too big (as Matthia mentioned -- however, our prod environment ended up doing well with 12GB, and not 20GB.

3. STP plugin was causing errors, and hogging resources. We ended up disabling it, saw much improvement.

1 vote
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2013

Try to make a reindex. This will make your system faster! Otherwise is your xmx and xms parameter to big. This means that the garbage collcor in your JVM has a lot to do. This will slow down your system. Please use xmx and xms parameter with 1024m.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2013

VMs have no problem running JIRA. VMware being full virtualization though does have penalties.

What version of MySQL are you running?

How many CPUs are assigned to the VM? This may be important.

In your examples, slowness has been coming from JS and CSS. Have you enabled compression and caching? This would definitely help.

Suggest an answer