Jira 5.2.4 Incremental search slow for large page sizes

Ken Glidden January 16, 2013

We have about 25,000 issues in Jira. If I set my page size to 1000, I find the incremental search response time on a MacBook Pro is slow.

When I start a new search, there is about a 7 second delay before the screen becomes responsive again. When I change search parameters, it takes 2-ish seconds to update the screen.

Can I turn off the incremental search and only have Jira do it's search once I've entered all of my criteria?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ken Glidden January 27, 2013

I just tested turning off Auto-Update Search Results. It does turn off updating when selections are made in a single pull-down (e.g. Project, IssueType, Status, etc.) but as soon as I move to another pull-down, a search is performed. So that is only a partial solution to my issue.

However, I played with this some more and see that, when Auto-Update is enabled, I can click on any selection criteria in any pulldown as rapidly as I want to. Each new selection appears to stop the previous search and start a new one. I though I had to wait for each query to complete before I entered a new criteria.

So, as a practical matter, the current functionality seems adequate.

Thanks.

0 votes
Kiran
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2013

Auto-Update in JIRA is a feature which can turned on or off for all users by the JIRA Administrator.

In JIRA as an admin, navigate to Adminstration -> System -> General Configuration.

In the general configuration page, there is an option named "Auto-Update Search Results". Turn that off.

Please note that turning it off will affect all users.

Alternately, you could reduce the no.of result per page by going to the User Profile -> Preferences -> Page Size.

Ken Glidden January 27, 2013

For what it's worth, we doubled the memory on the server, going from 2GB to 4 GB. This did not change the performance.

Also, increasing the JVMs memory from 768m to 1g did not change the performance.

Suggest an answer