Jira 5.1 fails to start after a system reboot

adam-roth March 4, 2013

Our Jira server recently suffered a hard reboot. I've been trying to get Jira restarted since then. It keeps failing due to missing dependencies (or so the log claims). Really basic dependencies like 'javax.activation' and 'javax.sql'. Here's a snippet from the startup log:

2013-03-05 17:39:00,364 main ERROR      [plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Detected an error (BundleException) enabling the plugin 'com.atlassian.activeobjects.jira.spi' : Unresolved constraint in bundle com.atlassian.activeobjects.jira.spi [23]: Unable to resolve 23.0: missing requirement [23.0] package; (&(package=javax.sql)(version>=0.0.0.1_006_JavaSE)(version<=0.0.0.1_006_JavaSE)).  This error usually occurs when your plugin imports a package from another bundle with a specific version constraint and either the bundle providing that package doesn't meet those version constraints, or there is no bundle available that provides the specified package. For more details on how to fix this, see http://confluence.atlassian.com/x/1xy6D
2013-03-05 17:39:00,365 main WARN      [plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Unable to enable plugin 'com.atlassian.activeobjects.jira.spi'
com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.container.OsgiContainerException: Cannot start plugin: com.atlassian.activeobjects.jira.spi
	at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin.enableInternal(OsgiPlugin.java:445)
	at com.atlassian.plugin.impl.AbstractPlugin.enable(AbstractPlugin.java:237)
	at com.atlassian.plugin.impl.AbstractDelegatingPlugin.enable(AbstractDelegatingPlugin.java:215)
	at com.atlassian.plugin.manager.PluginEnabler.actualEnable(PluginEnabler.java:114)
	at com.atlassian.plugin.manager.PluginEnabler.enable(PluginEnabler.java:99)
	at com.atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager.addPlugins(DefaultPluginManager.java:727)
	at com.atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager.init(DefaultPluginManager.java:180)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.JiraPluginManager.start(JiraPluginManager.java:58)
	at com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager$PluginSystem.start(ComponentManager.java:663)
	at com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager.startJIRA(ComponentManager.java:216)
	at com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager.quickStart(ComponentManager.java:209)
	at com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager.start(ComponentManager.java:194)
	at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.PluginSystemLauncher.start(PluginSystemLauncher.java:23)
	at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher$3.run(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:101)
	at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrEnqueue(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:284)
	at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrWhenDatabaseActivated(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:169)
	at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.postDbLaunch(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:94)
	at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.access$100(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:24)
	at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher$1.run(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:61)
	at com.atlassian.jira.util.devspeed.JiraDevSpeedTimer.run(JiraDevSpeedTimer.java:33)
	at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.start(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:56)
	at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener$1.create(LauncherContextListener.java:67)
	at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener$1.create(LauncherContextListener.java:62)
	at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.MultiTenantComponentMapImpl.get(MultiTenantComponentMapImpl.java:121)
	at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.MultiTenantComponentMapImpl.onTenantStart(MultiTenantComponentMapImpl.java:165)
	at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager$1.consume(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:134)
	at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager$1.consume(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:131)
	at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager.runForEachListener(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:256)
	at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager.startTenant(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:130)
	at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager.startAll(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:203)
	at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.contextInitialized(LauncherContextListener.java:95)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4205)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4704)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:840)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:463)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:525)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:754)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:595)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)
Caused by: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved constraint in bundle com.atlassian.activeobjects.jira.spi [23]: Unable to resolve 23.0: missing requirement [23.0] package; (&(package=javax.sql)(version>=0.0.0.1_006_JavaSE)(version<=0.0.0.1_006_JavaSE))
	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundle(Felix.java:3409)
	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:1709)
	at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleImpl.start(BundleImpl.java:905)
	at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleImpl.start(BundleImpl.java:892)
	at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin.enableInternal(OsgiPlugin.java:417)
	... 45 more

There are *tons* more of those, but they're all basically the same.

I haven't been able to track down what the issue is, or what the fix might be, but I have determined that if I export the database onto a different host and then point a fresh Jira instance at it, everything works. Conversely, a fresh Jira install (blank Jira home, blank database) on the affected host does not seem to work, either.

I'm not sure what would cause this, or what would be the best approach to fixing it. I've tried restoring my database from a backup, and also manually purging all generated content from 'jira.home' (indexes/cache/temp/etc.). After backing everything up, of course.

How do I fix this problem and get Jira up and running again?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

hi adam.

could you try purging the plugins directory first?

${jira_home}/plugins/.bundled-plugins

${jira_home}/plugins/.osgi-plugins

as you say hard reboot you can also try forcing the webapp to be rebuilt.

delete ${jira_install}/work/*

all will be recreated during startup

hope this helps

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

of course stop jira first before you do this...

restart when you're done

adam-roth March 5, 2013

Thanks, that fixed it.

Toni Mofardin April 14, 2013

Hi. What do you mean by "purging"?

I have another problem ( https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27834280/screenshots/fail_start.PNG ) with starting Jira, but maybe your solution could help.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 14, 2013
I mean like deleting this directories content. Try to stop jira and clear the plugins cache. You will delete the content of these two directories i mentioned above. Restart jira and let's see if that helped
Toni Mofardin April 14, 2013

I solved the problem. Antivirus was blocking some of Jira's folders.

Thanks anyway!

Suggest an answer