Jira 5.0.4: Why can't i connect to an AD server over SSL?

Eddie Scholten July 24, 2012

I setup connection to AD over an SSL connection. Quick test is OK, when i do what looks like a more thorough test, it fails leaving me with this error: Test basic connection : Failed

fqdn.server.name:636; nested exception is javax.naming.CommunicationException: fqdn.server.name:636 [Root exception is java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.atlassian.crowd.directory.ssl.LdapHostnameVerificationSSLSocketFactory]
The only thing in my setup that is different is that i resolve the LDAP server's name through the hosts file. Do i maybe need to have the LDAP server's FQDN name in DNS or will the hostfile be sufficient?
Quite actually this is two questions into one, but hope someone is able to point me in the right direction.

3 answers

2 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2012

Hi Eddie,

From the root cause of the error you are receiving, and the fact that the quick test is successful, I susepct that you are facing the bug described here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-27347

However, if that is the case then that is good news because the bug is actually that the test fails but the LDAPS connection and the synchronisation are successful. Therefore I would suggest you start by checking whether the connection and synchronisation are working correctly, and if not then I would suggest that you open a support ticket so that we can investigate the cause of this issue.

All the best,
John

Eddie Scholten July 25, 2012

Hello John,

Thanks for the help.

I tried testing the synchronization just now, and synchronization failed:

Last synchronised at 7/26/12 8:48 AM (took 0s).

Synchronisation failed. See server logs for details.

From the looks of this, i can safely say i'm probably not having this bug. Is there a log somewhere that can point us in the right direction?

Would yoiu you know if this particular bug is fixed in version 5.1?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2012

No it is not fixed and it causing lots of problems. Feel free to comment on the bug tracker.

Eddie Scholten August 5, 2012

Thanks Sorin,

I will comment on the bug tracker. Would be nice if they fixed this one. Something may be causing this, but as long as i don't know what this error points to (if an error was given in the first place) i have not much to investigate on.

0 votes
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2012

I tried to add the LDAP FQDN in the /etc/hosts but that was not enough to fix the problem.

0 votes
Eddie Scholten July 29, 2012

No answers so far... Will upgrade to version 5.1 and see what happens then

Suggest an answer