Jira 4.4.5 - Jira Startup Failed - Plugins did not start

Harish March 24, 2013

Hi, We have installed Jira in 4.4.5 successfully compelted the 4 steps of setup.

Then when we tried to login to Jira. It says - Jira Startup Failed.

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:

• Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Project Config Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin)
  • Atlassian OAuth Admin Plugin (com.atlassian.oauth.admin)
  • Embedded Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Shared Application Access Layer (SAL) Plugin (com.atlassian.sal.jira)
  • Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Look And Feel Logo Upload Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.lookandfeel)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)
  • Atlassian REST - Module Types (com.atlassian.plugins.rest.atlassian-rest-module)
  • Gadget Spec Publisher Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.publisher)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - REST Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.rest)
  • Atlassian OAuth Service Provider Plugin (com.atlassian.oauth.serviceprovider)
  • Opensocial Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.opensocial)

Please let me know how can this be resolved.

Thanks,

harish.

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2013

Hi Harish,

Hmm, it seems that this could be related to the caches of your JIRA instance. You will have to remove and recreate them, which you can do with the following steps :

1. Shut down your JIRA
  2. Clear your cache. To do this, first access your JIRA installation directory. There, access the 'Work' folder. Delete the contents of the folder. DO NOT DELETE THE WORK FOLDER. Only delete the contents.
  3. Clear your plugin cache. To do this, access your JIRA Home folder. There, access the 'Plugins' folder. Delete the '.osgi-plugins' and the '.bundled-plugins' folders. Not to worry, these 2 folders will be rebuilt when JIRA starts
  4. Startup your JIRA and check to see if the problem persists

Cheers,

Joe

Harish March 24, 2013

Hi Joe,

I have followed the below steps:

1. Stopped Jira.

2. Deleted the contents of 'Work' folder. There was a folder called 'Catalina' inside 'Work' folder.

3. There are no files as '.osgi-plugins' and the '.bundled-plugins' in the Plugins folder. ( inside Jira home folder).

4. Started Jira.

But stil the Jira Startup Faied error persists.

Please guide.

Thanks,

Harish

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2013

3. There are no files as '.osgi-plugins' and the '.bundled-plugins' in the Plugins folder. ( inside Jira home folder).

Hi again harish...

i can't believe this...could you please use a cmd like "ls -la ${path_to_your_JIRAHOME}/plugins" ?

these are hidden folders. i assume you're on a linux host and just missed the . in front of the directory name :)

could you please have a look at this again?

Like corveet likes this
Carmen Bullock June 18, 2020

Hello

I have the same question. I am on Jira 8 and it does not have the folders in question. I have a installed-plugins with all the plugins for my instance. I am also having an jira start after a system restore. I can't delete the catalina folder inside of the work folder as well. 

2 votes
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2013

Hi Harish,

In addition to Andy's and Joe's answer. Can you check with following -

• The JDK version, if it is 1.7.x_xx, try downgrading to JDK 1.6.x_xx
  • The Anti-virus. Try disabling the anti-virus while starting JIRA as it may block some of the JIRA files when the JIRA program is running.
  • Enough Memeory. Check if JIRA is having enough memory to start smoothly. As not having enough memory also can lead to the above error.

Hope above steps solve your error.

Harish March 25, 2013

HI Naren,

Thnaks for the response.

I have installed JDK 1.6.x and redirected JAVA_HOME to the new Java installed instead of JDK 1.7.x

This resolved the issue and i do not get the "Jira startup Faied" error now.

Thanks,

harish.

Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2013

Glad it helped! :)

Roystine Machado February 19, 2017

Hi Naren, 

we are upgrading to JIRA 7.3.1 from JIRA 6.1.7

after the upgrade we are getting error "JIRA Startup Failed : Error occurred while starting Plugin Manager. Unable to install bundle caused by: Unable to install bundle"

we are using JAVA 1.8.0_92 on the server.

i tried to delete the "work" directory and the osgi-plugins' and the '.bundled-plugins.

Still the error persists. Can you please help.

Thanks and regards,
Roystine Machado. 

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2013

Hi Harish,

Can you look in the logs, the above is a syptom rather than a cause, I would think the problem would be present as an ERROR or even a stack trace in the atlassian-jira.log file?

Things to check, JIRA_HOME is defined, the process JIRA runs under has appropriate permissions on that folder?

Suggest an answer