Jira 4.1.1 to 4.4 updgrade using in-place database upgrade fails

Tom
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2012

The documentation says: your existing osuser.xml and crowd.properties files MUST be available to JIRA 4.3 (or later) before the upgrade process is started.

and:

ensure that you copy the osuser.xml and crowd.properties files from the atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes directory of your old installation to the atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes directory of the new installation.

I get: Sorry, but we are unable to automatically upgrade your version of JIRA:

[jira@liferay-it01 ~]$ ./atlassian-jira-4.4-x64.bin
Unpacking JRE ...
Starting Installer ...
You do not have administrator rights to this machine. This means you will not be able to install JIRA as a service. Are you sure you want to continue?
Yes [y, Enter], No [n]
y

This will install JIRA 4.4 on your computer.
OK [o, Enter], Cancel [c]

If JIRA is already installed on this machine, please read the following information carefully.
Please choose between creating a new JIRA installation or upgrading an
existing JIRA installation.
Create a new JIRA installation. [1, Enter], Upgrade an existing JIRA installation. [2]
Existing JIRA installation directory:
[/var/opt/jira/atlassian/jira]
/var/opt/jira/atlassian/jira-4.1.1
Sorry, but we are unable to automatically upgrade your version of JIRA

How exactly do I copy those files to the NEW location, when the installer supposedly CREATES that??

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tom
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2012

The manual gz install is what I ended up doing. Once I got Jira set as its own user (not root) and the file structure more closely aligned with what Atlassian expects, subsequent installs worked with the installer.

0 votes
alex colina August 27, 2013

try sudo, it worked for me:

sudo ./atlassian-jira-4.4-x64.bin

0 votes
Roland Mori June 24, 2012

I agree Colin. Actually, I prefer the side-by-side install method. The only issues I encountered were with the new installer being able to stop the existing service and to create a new service (can't remember the exact error messages). I had difficulty following the instructions as to should I follow the 4.3 upgrade instructions first, or should I follow the General upgrade procedures first? But I did finally finish the upgrade.

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2012

I don't use the installer but it could just be related to the fact that until JIRA 4.3, Atlassian didn't officially support in place database upgrades. The recommended approach from 4.1 is to export the XML backup and import it

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+4.3+Upgrade+Guide#JIRA43UpgradeGuide-In-placedatabaseupgradeisnowtherecommendedmethod

0 votes
Roland Mori June 24, 2012

When I attempted an upgrade from 4.2.x to 4.3 on Windows 7, I encountered the same issue. I eventually gave up and performed a side-by-side install. I was also lost in the documentation. The 4.3 upgrade instructions were pretty straight-forward, but when it refers you to the General upgrade instructions, they appear to be written for upgrading to JIRA 5.0

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2012

Hmm. Without breaking into the code and figuring out why you are getting the message, I would try a manual install using tar.gz format instead of the bin format. Just make sure you read all the upgrade notes (general and version specific) and follow directions if there are any related to your setup.

0 votes
Tom
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2012

Nope:

[root@liferay-it01 jira]# ./atlassian-jira-4.4-x64.bin
Unpacking JRE ...
Starting Installer ...

This will install JIRA 4.4 on your computer.
OK [o, Enter], Cancel [c]

If JIRA is already installed on this machine, please read the following information carefully.
Please choose between creating a new JIRA installation or upgrading an
existing JIRA installation.
Create a new JIRA installation. [1, Enter], Upgrade an existing JIRA installation. [2]
Existing JIRA installation directory:
[/var/opt/jira/atlassian/jira-4.4.5]
/var/opt/jira/atlassian/jira-4.1.1
Sorry, but we are unable to automatically upgrade your version of JIRA
Finishing installation ...

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2012

Please check to see which user owns your current installation files. I suspect you will need to root to install.

Suggest an answer