JavaScript to show a field depending on context and make it mandatory.

Ryan Aherne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2012

Hi,

I'm looking for some JavaScript to make a field mandatory, similer to other mandarory fields in JIRA.

I have a field that needs to be mandatory, but this field's content (and data) will change depending on the context. I'm actually talking about three custom fields of different type with the same name. Depending on the context selected, depends on which custom field is displayed.

Context: X, Y, Z
X-> display db values custom field (pointing to db1)
Y-> display dropdown custom field
Z-> display db values custom field (pointing to db2)

Field displayed/name as 'Project' and needs to be mandatory, no matter what the context. So I'm looking for JavaScript to show the field depending on context (use selected) and made it mandatory.

Any suggestions or help appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Aherne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2012

I decided to change my approach. I moved up one level to the issue type, creating a different issue type for each context. Each issue type has it's own entry form, field config, schemas, etc

No Javascript required ;o)

Ryan Aherne
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2012

I've marked this as the answer, as it's the solution to my problem. I didn't really answer the question asked ;o)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2012

I'm a bit out of my depth with javascript, so I can't help you there, but I did want to point out that Jira's built-in mandatory fields don't work like that. Their content is checked on the server side after the user commits a change.

Suggest an answer