JVM Sizing question

Jim Winsor April 15, 2013

We are planning a large (Enterprise scale) Jira instance, based on the sizing guidence from Atlassian. The server is equipped with more than 128 GB of memory.

During a recent planning session, a developer noted that JVM's larger than 8 GB can have performance issues due to garbage collection, and other memory management, taking too long.

Has anyone configured a JVM with large memory (64 GB and up) and experienced this type of issue, and was there any remedy?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

Hi Jim, do you anticipate a need for JIRA having >64GB of memory set for the heap? It's quite a rare situation even in large organizations. We've had instances running with >8GB of RAM.

Whilst garbage collection would be consideribly slower, you'd also require less garbage collection (as you'll less often fill up all the memory). I'd consider using Java 7 and G1C as a concurrent garbage collector to avoid any huge performance spikes due to GC.

If performance is an issue though, I'd consider other methods of performance tuning than simply increasing the RAM.

Jim Winsor April 22, 2013

Thanks!

Jim

1 vote
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

Hi Jim ,

I had a similar query few months back and I had raised this to Atlassian support they advised to use 6gb instead of 32gb which was hitting the performance .

0 votes
Daniel Alonso October 30, 2018

Hi @Jim Winsor2 @Mizan any final decision after working with this configuration for almost 5 years? Thanks in advance.

0 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2013

I found a few useful documentation on JIRA performance tuning and scaling:

Hope it helps

Cheers :)

Jim Winsor April 21, 2013

Thanks, Daryl.

While these links provide helpful information, I was hoping to find someone who has actually implemented Jira using a large JVM (>64 GB) to understand the issues involved.

Jim

Suggest an answer