JVM Error on Linux

Kota Sreenivasa Shravana Kumar March 2, 2014

I am getting the following error as soon as I start JIRA on my Linux test system.

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Failed to reserve shared memory (errno = 1)

What system or JIRA parameters to change to fix this issue ? Please advise. Thanks

6 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Paras_Lehana October 28, 2018

errno = 1 generally implies permission denied. 

Refer (source):  

(errno = 1)
Errno 1 is permission denied. On CentOS 6.x this is usually resolved by adding the Group ID (GID) of the server to /proc/sys/vm/hugetlb_shm_group. In your case the server runs as user dsuser and group dsuser. 

echo <numeric_gid_of_dsuser> > /proc/sys/vm/hugetlb_shm_group 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2014

Read the system information page.

When you need to edit them, the memory settings are in the setenv.sh/bat

0 votes
Kota Sreenivasa Shravana Kumar March 3, 2014

Nic, How do I check, what is configured in the system ?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2014

It's nothing to do with Jira really. That error usually means that you've tried to allocate more memory to the JVM than your system is configured to allow (either it hasn't got that much memory, or there's a quota or security limit)

0 votes
Kota Sreenivasa Shravana Kumar March 2, 2014

64-bit Linux.

[root@test ~]# getconf LONG_BIT

0 votes
Silviu Burcea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2014

Your Linux is 32 or 64 bit?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question