JSM Public board

Gui Ávila November 29, 2020

Hi,

What is the best way to create a public board so users can see feature suggestions and bug reports?

I tried to create a JSM project and change the Browse Projects permission to include the Anyone group. But an error appeared, it seems that is not possible for JSM projects.

So the solution is to use a Jira Software Kanban board? But then users can't create new requests through Help Center Portal and neither via email, right?

I am kind of lost here.

Thanks for your help,

Gui.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2020

Hi @Gui Ávila,

On a general note - it depends what you mean by public and who your users are. 

Your users may be people you know as they are your customers and they signed up for an account with you. Or they may be everyone in the world with access to / from the internet.

JSM is not built for disclosing a public roadmap. It is a ticketing tool where your free users (the customers) can only access the customer portal. This is where they can raise requests and see a list of tickets they created themselves or that were shared with them (as request participants or because they belong to an organisation). To be able to see a list of tickets, they would need product access (and a license) to JSM - as an agent - or to JSW.

JSW does allow setting up anonymous access, but not on the free plan. See more about the topic in these articles:

Gui Ávila November 29, 2020

Thanks a lot, @Walter Buggenhout .

Thanks for your explanation. Yes, I am using JSW for a public roadmap. I already allowed anonymous access to project, and I'm not in free plan. I'm in trial for Standard plan. So I could change the permission successfully. Please see: https://share.getcloudapp.com/OAuWR9AL

But it the board still does not work for anonymous access. This is the board URL:

Sugestões e bugs - Agile Board - Jira (atlassian.net)

Thanks a lot Walter,

Gui.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2020

Hi @Gui Ávila,

I can confirm that your project is accessible anonymously. But indeed not through a kanban board. As per this article, anonymous users have Jira Core like access to your data. They won't be able to access specific Jira Software features, like agile boards.

You can redirect them directly to the issue list in issue navigator instead, though:Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 08.58.54.png 

Gui Ávila November 30, 2020

@Walter Buggenhout Thanks for your help. So its not possible to give access to a kanban board to anonymous users?

With Jira, there is no way to create a Kanban board (with custom columns) for a public roadmap? No workaround, nothing?

I can't understand why Atlassian make these thinks so difficult, really. Why anonymous users can see issues in a list but not in a board? Things could be so much simpler and easy to set.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2020

I am not Atlassian myself, just volunteering to help out users like yourself. So allow me not to take a stand on why Atlassian does (not) implement certain features.

On a positive note though - the issue navigator may just be a much more flexible way to view the issues on the roadmap than a kanban board. It offers a lot more search capabilities into the roadmap and - for one - the option to also look into resolved issues from the past. From a kanban board they normally disappear once closed and you'll need to set up all search/filtering options yourself through quick filters.

Now you have just one issue there, but suppose you get like really much interaction going and many issues and feature requests, it will soon get hard to decently display this on any board. As an example, have a look at this public backlog (only unresolved issues).

@Walter Buggenhout , If anonymous user suggest a new feature or report a bug, there is no way to interact with the user and answer the request, right? Because it was created by an anonymous user, the reporter won't receive a notification when the issue is done, am I right?

So, can I make the issue list public for anonymous user but require users to login in order to create a new issue?

The public backlog you sent me seems to work like that. Anyone can access the link and see the issues, but you need to sign in to create a new issue.

Thanks,

Gui.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2020

Absolutely. And you just explained yourself why it works like that.

How you can tackle that is by using your existing JSM as a first line ticketing system that people can sign up to for creating tickets. They can do so in the role of JSM customers who don't need a license.

When your JSM agents evaluate those tickets and decide some of those tickets need to be on the backlog of your development team(s), they create a change, bug, feature, ... on the internal (or public) backlog.

That way you can communicate 1-1 with people reporting stuff through JSM AND share what's on your roadmap the way we've been discussing in this thread.

Add Confluence as a knowledge base to your JSM and documentation platform for your solution, and you can cover all ends of the support experience.

Hi @Walter Buggenhout ,

Thanks a lot.

Just to make sure. You said "That way you can communicate 1-1 with people reporting stuff through JSM AND share what's on your roadmap the way we've been discussing in this thread." That would work with 2 sepparate issues, am I right?

One issue for the JSM. And a different for the Jira Software public backlog.

There is no way to make the issue created by the user in JSM appear in the public backlog for all users? To show the comments in the issue, etc?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2020

Hi @Gui Ávila,

That is correct (those 2 issues).

You can use automation to create the linked issue when you decide it should go on the public backlog. Users will only be able to create issues or comment on them when they have a login. And given current privacy laws, it is best to respect that as well.

Note that any comments you make on the public backlog tickets internally will be visible to anonymous users. 

It is possible to copy comments between tickets using automation as well: JRACLOUD-74937. The issue I refer to is an open bug regarding embedded images, but it has a good example of an automation rule for this purpose. 

@Walter Buggenhout 

Thanks!

What is the setting for a public backlog like this? Users can create issues, comment and the issues are all public. And is not JSW project. How does this work?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2020

Yes you can, when logged in. It is the same backlog I mentioned before. As soon as you log out, you'll see that it turns into read only mode just the same.

Logged in:

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 16.28.22.png

Anonymous:

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 16.28.36.png

Trust me, it's Jira Software - only not the Cloud version but on prem.

You can offer that functionality when you are either a millionaire or Atlassian. They don't have to pay for the licenses ;-)

Like Gui Ávila likes this

LOL.

Thanks a lot @Walter Buggenhout !

0 votes
Irina_Bel_Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 31, 2022

Hi @Gui Ávila,

If you want to make all the issues visible for the external customers in Jira Cloud, you can set up a public forum with Customer Case for Jira app .

You can check how we use the app at Stiltsoft for arranging public forums. We also use this app as the support (private) platform instead of JSM.

Your customers can even vote for specific ideas on public forums. It can help you to prioritize your backlog. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events