JQL to return list of boxes unchecked from checkbox list

Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2015

Hi All,

Is there any way I can get the list of unchecked boxes via JQL? I have a list with 50+ boxes that we are using and we want to know the boxes that haven't been checked via a JQL query. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Andrew

2 answers

1 vote
Royce Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2016

Hi Andrew,

Try this, for example, you have a checkboxes field: Color with options: red, white, blue.

To filter tickets where red was not selected:

Color is empty or (Color is not empty and color != red)

Please experiment with your 50+ boxes with the 'not in' operator and let us know how it goes.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2015

Looking for a negative is quite hard.  I don't think you can get a list of unchecked options, I think the best you can do is look for "<field name> is not <option>" and compare it with "<field name> = <option>".  Obviously, as JQL is about finding issues, you'll get issue lists back.

I'm not sure quite what you're looking for, but it might be useful to create a filter for "<field name> is not empty", and then use it in a "filter statistics" gadget on a dashboard set to group by the field. That will give you usage of the ones that are in use, so you can at least compare the gadget with the list of options for the checkbox and see which ones are totally unused (if the gadget lists 67 options and you've got 75 on the list, you know you've got 8 that are unused).  I find it helpful for spotting the low-usage ones as well, for considering merging them with others or removing them.

Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2015

Thanks Nic!! I will try this today and see what I can come up with.

Suggest an answer