JQL to return 4 levels of Portfolio custom hierarchy

Kelley Cooper October 17, 2017

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated...especially thoughts on my proposed setup of Portfolio.

History

We have upwards of 150 projects in our JIRA instance and are about to install Portfolio.  Rather than adding the Portfolio custom issue type hierarchy to ALL 150 projects I proposed creating only 1 project that houses 2 Portfolio issue types (Portfolio plan source could easily use filters to retrieve the Epics and Stories desired AND the Portfolio issue types).  This was my strategy which I tested and it worked:

• Product (top level custom Portfolio issue type)
    • RPE (Parent Link is the Product issue type)
      • Epic
        • Story

With the following JQL I can return all the RPEs associated via Parent Link to the Product:

issue = <Product issue #> OR "Parent Link" = <Product issue #>

I wanted to put all the Portfolio issue types into 1 project to save all the admin time it will take to support those issue types in 150+ projects.

This worked fine...until the powers that be decided they wanted 4 Portfolio issue types in the hierarchy above Epic instead of 2; they want this:

• Product (top level custom Portfolio issue type)
    • General Initiative (Parent Link is Product issue type)
      • Detailed Initiative (Parent Link is General Initiative issue type)
        • RPE (Parent Link is Detailed Initiative issue type)
          • Epic
            • Story

Can anyone help me JQL that would allow me to search and return ALL the items associated with the Product issue at the top level down thru the RPE level?

Or am I way off base with my proposal of going with having the Portfolio issue types in 1 project instead of 150?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

1 answer

0 votes
Cristiano Mariano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2017

Hi Kelley!

Unfortunately, it seems that it is not possible out-of-the-box.

Plugins like Scriptrunner may help you in this case.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Query-two-levels-hierarchy-in-Jira/qaq-p/216386

Thanks,

Cristiano

Suggest an answer