JQL to list all issues in specific "kanban board" or "scrum board" by board name

Bishnu Prasad Pandey December 10, 2019

I want to create a filter which will list all the issues that are present in specific kanban board in a project. Please help me to write filter to do so. ( "project name" and "board name")

4 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2019

Hi @Bishnu Prasad Pandey

The easiest method of doing this is to search via the filter ID, as the board is a visual representation of a filter. To do this:

1. Go to the Board in question
  2. In the top-right, select Options (3-dots) and choose Board Settings
  3. Go to the General tab on the left-hand menu
  4. Select "Edit Filter Query"
  5. In the URL, take a note of the filter's ID; it will look like this - ?filter=XXXX - take the numbers after the equals
  6. Now go into Issue Search and you can enter something such as: project = ABC and filter = XXXXX - that will let you search by project and "board"

Ste

Thank you Stephen

Nuria Llobera May 13, 2020

Hi Stephen, 

that solution would work for classical projects. How can I create a filter of issues on a board of a next-gen project?

Best,

Nuria

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2020

Hi @Nuria LLobera

You can just search by Project Key to see which issues are on a Next-Gen Board - as the board's filter is all project issues at this time.

You could filter out "Done" if you prefer, to show only open issues.

If you're asking how to create a board filter for Next-Gen, that's not yet available. For this I would suggest voting/watching the ideas JSWCLOUD-17444 and JSWCLOUD-17331 - which cover filters and board settings for Next-Gen.

Ste

Like # people like this
Michal Jurasek June 1, 2020

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_

I followed the URL filter's ID approach and get cyclical reference error.

I understand the rationale of the error as its exactly what we try to achive to separate issues (from two boards) under one project. Any thoughts?

Field 'filter' with value 'xxxxx' matches filter 'xxxxx Board' and causes a cyclical reference, this query can not be executed and should be edited.

Thanks Michal

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2020

Hi @Michal Jurasek 

What are you trying to achieve with your search?

Ste

Michal Jurasek June 2, 2020

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_

I tried to create two independent boards within one/the same project, so I can see only issues related to the given board on the Kanban board and Issues from the sidebar.

The URL filter ID approach did not work for me in the board configuration "Edit Filter Query" due to the cyclical reference error.

The approach with the component worked fine and helped with Kanban board view but in the Issues (accessed via sidebar) I still see all issues in the Project and could not figure out how to display only Issues for the board.

My conclusion - Issues (located at the sidebar) are Project issues and not a board issues and therefore I cannot display/filter them on board level.

Right/Wrong?

Thanks Michal

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2020

Hi @Michal Jurasek 

Yes the side-bar option is issues within the project - not specifically just those on the board.

You can search for issues which are specific to the board in issue search (by replicating the filter query from the board) but it won't show up on in the "Issues" section this way by default.

Ste

2 votes
Rich Bayless January 10, 2024

It's such a shame that all of the answers given so far are simply workarounds to Jira's apparent limitation of not being able to specify a specific board (or boards) in the JQL itself (as the op actually asked).  And, none of those workarounds support searching across multiple specific boards.  For example, if my project has twenty boards, and I want to find all issues from just five specific boards (of my project) which meet a specific set of criteria, there's apparently no way to do that.  Even worse, it's been over four years since this question was asked and Jira still doesn't offer a solution for what should be super simple (e.g., "AND Board = ________").  {sigh}

What's especially bizarre about this limitation is that Jira does support specifying a specific board in REST queries (e.g., to get the internal IDs of all sprints for a specific board: https://{jira site/instance}/rest/agile/1.0/board/68696/sprint) ... how did Atlassian manage to add such support for REST but not JQL?!?!?

1 vote
Mario Rodriguez Redondo December 10, 2019

Hi @Bishnu Prasad Pandey if you want to retrieve the issues on a specific Board, go to the Board > Configuration > General > search for the saved Filter Query.

Example: project = 31354 AND component = "xxxxxxxx" ORDER BY Rank ASC

Each board has it's own, and it the same filter you can save in order to access the issues on the current Board.

Hope this helps you.

Kind regards.

Thank you Mario

Like Michal Jurasek likes this
Michal Jurasek June 1, 2020

Hi @Mario Rodriguez Redondo 

I have set up the Filter Query on the board with component and it helps with the issues on the Kanban board but still see all issues in the project under Issues = the filter query is not reflected in the Issues.

I am on Jira v7.13.8

Thanks Michal

nathalie.willems January 19, 2022

What's the component field? How can find its value for a specific Kanban board?

0 votes
Danny Bish September 28, 2021

Unless you use a custom field, label or component to tag each issue on the board (and in the query), the only option I have found is to use versions/releases or Epics to add to the filter.  It would be great if it were easier, but so far this is the world we live in.

One additional thought (outside of something more complicated with automation and scriptrunner) would be to link all issues to something and check for it as a subquery:
project = "CBA"  and issue in linkedIssues("CBA-111") ORDER BY RANK ASC

Good luck.

Michal Jurasek September 29, 2021

Thank you Danny

Suggest an answer