• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JQL to find linked cases of linekd cases

Hello all,
Im kinda new to Jira and Confluence and hoping to use it in reducing our documentation on manual effort on some of our technical products.

The documentation if for a product that uses scripts and workflows that have a multilayered structure and all need to be documented.

The structure we have in our product has the layers:
1 - integration
2 - generalized workflow
3 - user workflow
4 - presentation

Basically the layer 4 will be the first request as this is the actual output yet they are dependent on the previous layer to reduce maintenance, meaning there only a few integrations [L1], and a number of general workflows [L2] (more then the integrations) and all these are used in multiple user workflows [L3] and these need to be presented in even more user presentations [L4]

On the moment that for instance an integration [L1] needs to be changed then i want to see how much this impact the end result for the user presentation [L4] and also all the items in between.

To make sure that is done i want to make sure the relationships via Jira or Confluence, we are open to all situations that may help us and as we are using Jira for case management and the Confluence for documentation anyways.

I was thinking it was able to create cases of the various layers and then link them to their the higher/lower levels and then query them to show.

So in this moment that i open an case of an integration it then shows the linked cases of the [L2] and the next layer of the [L3] as well and so forth and then creating a overview in an Confluence page to show the integration with all the integration [L1] cases and all the linked cases to it and shows also the linked cases to the linked cases on multiple levels.
Yet i cannot get the search right nor do i know if it is even technically possible.

I would love some feedback of ideas on this or an actual JQL search that would be able to do this.
Alternatives for this are also most welcome.

1 answer

Hi @Stefan Stolk  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

To provide some context, please describe the following for your use of Jira:

• What do you want to know, and what problem are you trying to solve with that information?
  • How you are organizing your projects in Jira and how those map to the layers you describe?  For example, are all the layers in one project, four projects, multiple projects per layer, etc.? 
  • How do you identify in Jira and manage work that spans across the layers? 

With that information the community will be better able to suggest what is and is not possible for your request.

Thanks, and best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you