JQL sub-query

e October 12, 2014

Hello. I am using Script Runner. 

I am writing to ask you for a piece of advise. 
My ultimate goal is issuing a subquery.

I am trying to implement a custom JQL function. It's going to be called
filterQuery(). 
It's supposed to take 1 argument - some JQL query and return issues.

It's use-case is in the following example:
issuetype = epic and issuekey in filteryQuery("project = MYPROJ")

But unfortunately, it's impossible to use own functions with 'issuekey in'. But, when used with the IN or NOT IN operators, issueKey supports:
issueHistory()
linkedIssues()
votedIssues()
watchedIssues()

So, can I expand that list of functions about with my own one using Script Runner?
Thanks a lot.

1 answer

1 vote
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2014

Hi,

You cannot extend the functions supported by the IN operator using the Script Runner. What you can do is write your own function and use that, such as

issueFunction in yourOwnFunction()

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your filterQuery function?

Regards,

Geert

e October 13, 2014

Basically, I am looking for subquery functionality in JQL. I think I need to write my own function here.

e October 13, 2014

Good to have jira function (let's name it like filterResult), that will add an ability to do subquery in JQL. Example jql1: project = CM jql2: project = IDS and issuetype = Epic and linkedIssues in filterResult(jql1) - to show all issues in IDS project that have links to issues from CM project jql3: project = CM and EpicLink in filterResult(jql2) and linkedIssues in filterResult("resolved < -2d") - for CM issues with epics from IDS, matching jql2 and linked with issues that was resolved less then 2 days ago.

Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2014

I think you can do a lot of what you want with the already available JQL functions in Script Runner, for example: jql2: project = IDS and issuetype = Epic AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("project = CM", "<link name>") (I am not able to test this right now). Also be sure to have a look at the complex examples, which show how you can use filters: https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Scripted+JQL+Functions#ScriptedJQLFunctions-MoreComplexExamples.

Suggest an answer