JQL "Sprint IN" logic broken

Adam Tiner April 25, 2017

After the recent update to Atlassian's Cloud version of JIRA, several of my filters have ceased to function.  I have made no changes to the criteria for these filters, but when I attempt to view them today, I am receiving the following message:

The operator 'in' is not supported by the 'sprint' field.

Is there a link to Release Notes that were produced by Atlassian in association with this change?  I am sure that they would not deprecate existing features without an explanation or workaround - right?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Adam Tiner April 27, 2017

After further investigation, I have discovered that the issue was not caused by Atlassian - I owe them an apology.  Sorry!

It appears that one of my admins decided to add another custom field named "Sprint" which was causing the conflict.  Deleting this field resolved all of my issues.

I am updating my support ticket to instead recommend that they warn users about duplicate names for existing fields.

Ramya Krishnakumar May 31, 2022

Thank you so much. saved us today!

1 vote
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2017

Hi Adam,

I just tried on my Cloud instance and the following work OK for me:

sprint IN openSprints()
sprint IN closedSprints()
sprint IN futureSprints()

Are these the queries you are having problems with, or something different?

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2017

p.s. The What's New page in the Atlassian Cloud documentation is where they currently publish details about changes/new features for Cloud products.

For example, recent JIRA Software Cloud updates are listed here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/what-s-new-686863216.html#What'sNew-jirasoftware

I haven't seen anything about these type of searches being depreciated.

Thanks for the response, Sam.  I also appreciate you confirming that the operator/functions are still working for the Sprint field.  

You are correct that those are the queries that I am attempting.  Issue Description.PNG

I have opened a ticket with Atlassian for their assistance.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2017

OK. Your query looks valid to me and running a similar search on my own instance works, so it'll be interesting to see what Atlassian say on this.

Please let us know how it gets resolved, because it'll be helpful for others in community.

For the reference of others visiting this thread, the link to raise a support ticket with Atlassian is: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

0 votes

After further research, I have confirmed that this operator should be functioning for the sprint field.  How do I contact someone at Atlassian about this?

"https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/advanced-searching-functions-reference-861257222.html#Advancedsearching-functionsreference-openSprintsopenSprints()"

Suggest an answer