JQL for Custom Field that is a Cascading Select

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2013

I am trying to determine the JQL necessary to report on a custom field that is a Cascading Select type. I need to identify issues that have the parent field value of ABC and has a 'child or secondary' list value of 123.

It seems that when I use the JQL based on the custom field, it is only able to query against the parent. How do a do it against the parent's list values like in the example mentioned?

2 answers

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2013

Use

customfield in cascadeOption(parentOption,childOption)

The online help is a great source for advanced searches: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching+Functions#AdvancedSearchingFunctions-cascadeOption()

Henning

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2013

Thank you - I use that page often...however, I obviously overlooked the section on this type. Appreciate it!

M Vijay Kumar November 30, 2016

Hi All,

We are using the cascade select field in our filter, we would like to know is there a way we could use multiple parent options in the query.

Parent Option : A has (1,2,3 has child options)

Parent Option B has (4,5,6 has child options)

Parent Option C has (7,8,9 child options)

Parent Option D has (10,11,12 child options)

We are trying to achieve we need results of Parent Option A and C with all the child Options.

When we have seen in the link provided above, we see there is no option of having multiple Parent options. Any information provided will be very helpful.

Thanks,

Vijay

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2016

Maybe you could try "OR" for multiple customfield in cascadeOption() statements in the query...

Henning

Like Sai Nepadhya Gurram likes this
Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2017

@Henning Tietgens - thanks for the reference - I missed it on that page as well.

However, it is not working for me.  The parent seems to work but all children are included, regardless of the child that is entered.  Any ideas?

Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2017

Oh, oops.  I found my error.  Works!

Cengiz Akyildiz March 8, 2018

This really helps in may case. Thanks.

0 votes
Juergen Lanner March 3, 2017

Somehow I don't get it.
I try to query a cascading select on emptiness but get funny results.

Entering nothing into the query tells me I have approx 41k datasets in my instance.

image2017-3-3 12:6:33.png

querying my instance to return all datasets having the cascading select field empty yields 10

image2017-3-3 12:8:15.png

but querying for not empty returns only approx 2k datasets

image2017-3-3 12:9:11.png

where are the remaining 39k datasets?

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2017

Is "Module Selection" available for every possible project/issuetype combination? Is your index current?

Juergen Lanner March 3, 2017

Thanks a lot Henning, this helped smile

Suggest an answer