It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JQL filter for "custom field is not EMPTY" returns some wrong results

We have project in Jira Cloud with a multi-line text custom field. When I search for issues that have that field not empty:

project = MYPROJ AND "My custom field" is not EMPTY

I get a some issues that, in fact, have an empty "My custom field" (about 9% of the total results).

Is anybody else seeing this behaviour? Can anybody suggest a workaround? 

I wonder whether this may be related to JRACLOUD-67435

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

With text fields, it is possible to put data in them that looks empty.  You can test for this case by looking at the full issue view - is the field name displayed in the issue view?  If it is, then there is an invisible character in the field, so it is not really empty.

If the field name is not visible in view, then it is genuinely empty, and yes, the bug you mention is the most likely reason.

Hi Nic,

Thank you for your answer. The custom field is genuinely empty in the affected issues: some are new unmodified issues (and we have no default value for the custom field), and I followed your advice and I can confirm that the field is not visible in the full issue view of the affected tickets (when using the old issue view, as empty fields are always visible in the new issue view).

So I guess it is a bug, how frustrating. I'll vote for JRACLOUD-67435.

Thanks again for your help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you