JQL challenge - return all issues that are parents of sub-tasks having status = Done

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2017

I have sub-task issue type called Immediate Action. This is a temporary solution (sub-task) to the long term solution (parent). I want to add a gadget to my dashborard that shows all current temporary solutions that are awaiting the long-term solution. So something like this...

project = acme AND issuetype = "Immediate Action" AND status=Done AND parent-status != Done

so how to achieve the parent-status piece?

to make it more challenging.... without a plugin. :-)

1 answer

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

Ok, so if I understand correctly the goal here is to have some kind of view to show parents that have all sub-task resolved and probably quickly navigate and resolve the parent if required. 

Without the plugin? Oh yeah.. I like challenges.. Challenge accepted, @Jack Brickey ! :) 

I would personally be satisfied with Kanban View with set of Quick Filters and Swimlines configured.. 

In short.. 

• Create a Kanban Board
  • Add a Quick FIlter with JQL (type in subTaskIssueTypes() AND resolution != Unresolved)
  • Set up Swimlines to group by Stories for example.. 

In a result I would get something like this where you can quickly and easily filter all parents tasks where all subtasks are done..  In addition you would get a magic button Move to Done that you can use to visually see which parents should be closed and simply when you want close them :) 

abc_01.png

All collapsed parents view (notice we see two Move to Done buttons without seeing Sub-Tasks)..

abc_02.png

Only show parents where Sub-Task are done (Quick Filter enabled),

abc_03.png

Expanded view when showing both.. 

abc_04.png

Hope it would help ;) 

Suggest an answer