JQL Tricks function hasSameValues("reporter", "assignee") fails with error

Srikanth M October 3, 2017

issue in hasSameValues("reporter", "assignee") in advanced search fails with error.

This is the same message both  on our production: jira 6.4.5/JQL Tricks 5.3.10

and second testing env jira 7.2.9/JQL Tricks 7.0

Logs on both the machines say: 

2017-10-04 05:04:27,471 http-bio-443-exec-2796 ERROR jiraadmin 303x974986x5 1tsjcm3 132.186.191.9 /rest/issueNav/1/issueTable [issuenav.service.issuetable.DefaultIssueTableService] com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.ClauseTooComplexSearchException: A the following query was too complex to generate a query from: {issue in hasSameValues(assignee, reporter)}

But the same function with different parameters issue in hasSameValues("fixVersion", "affectedVersion") gives output.

Our instance has about 170,000 issues - is that too big for this query?

So I tried "project = XYX and state = Registered and issue in hasSameValues("assignee", "reporter")" to reduce the search scope, but it gives the same error.

Any ideas on what else to try? What is really happening here?

image.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2017

This is a known issue due to a limit set internally by Apache lucene. Can you try increasing the value of "jira.search.maxclause" property to a higher value like 200000 and see if it works? You will have to add this property in jira-config.properties file and restart JIRA.

Check out https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-edit-the-jira-config-properties-file-317194938.html on how to add this advanced property in JIRA.

If that doesn't work, create a support ticket with J-Tricks.

Srikanth M October 4, 2017

Thanks, Jobin.

Unfortunately, I can't relax the search results for queries as it is a decision made sometime back already.

I will take this as a answer, though.

Suggest an answer