It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JQL Query export to XML seems to be truncated

Hi,

I've exported a JQL query to XML. When I look at the XML, it looks like the file is truncated before it finishes, this is leaving lots of XML sections with no closing tags, and this causes problems for the other tools trying to parse this XML as input. I noticed that the file is quite long, the query only has about 100 issues in it, yet the XML (before it gets chopped off) is over 20,000 lines long. There's a lot of detailed info being return that I don't need. Is there any way using JQL and export to XML to reduce the fields reported? Maybe if I reduce the volume being returned, the XML won't be truncated?  I know that can be done with the REST API using "fields=", but not sure that can work with the JQL and XML export?

Thanks,

Dave

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder Community Leader Dec 12, 2019

The only time I have seen the xml get truncated on server is when you are behind a proxy and the download to the browser times out.  You can use the REST API but you might run into a similar issue.  You might try adjusting the JQL to break up the download a full file.  If you can confirm that it is an issue like the proxy you should be able to make adjustments to the proxy timeout to ensure that all the data can be downloaded.

Thanks for the information, I've got our JIRA admin looking into what, if anything, is happening server side as far as timeouts.

In the meantime, is there anyway to limit the XML response to just fields I'm interested in? Or alternatively, can I make the REST API return XML? Both of those would work around the issue with no server side changes required.

Brant Schroeder Community Leader Dec 13, 2019

XML export returns all the fields and there is not a way to trim it like you can in a CSV export.  The REST API returns a JSON payload so you can transform that into XML.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you