JQL: How to reference a set of Epics; all those within a project.

Max Richardson December 28, 2016

I have needed to create a filter that returns a list of issues that belong to Epics NOT included in the project in question (and to repeat this for multiple projects). I have succeeded in doing this by manually excluding each Epic:

project = "bFO Sales" AND issuetype = Story AND "Epic Link" not in (BFOS-46, BFOS-45, BFOS-47, BFOS-55, BFOS-48) ORDER BY priority DESC, updated DESC

The problem with this is that if a new Epic is created then the filter will be out of date until such time as the new Epic key is added to the list in the brackets. With many examples of this kind of filter in out rapidly evolving landscape, this is impractical.

Therefore, I am looking for a way (something to put in those brackets?) to reference all Epics that are within a project.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Peter Geshev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2016

Hi Max,

Unfortunately, for JIRA Cloud you cannot use custom JQL functions (as the ones defined by ScriptRunner for JIRA Server) and there is no way to achieve the functionality you want with the basic JQL functions (you may see the available operators for the epic link field here)

Regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer