JQL Filter for "custom field is EMPTY" returns results where Custom field is "not" Empty

Dennis Lex May 9, 2021

I wrote a JQL query to find the issues which are not proper filled with data. In this query I ask for a custom field which shows the planned start date of an issue. This field is a Date Picker Field.

customfield is EMPTY

But as a result I get differt issues where this custum field ist filled.

Even if I use

customfield is EMPTY and customfield is not EMPTY

I get results.

I already read that I should do a Re-indexing. But in the newer versions of Jira Cloud that seems to be no longer possible.

Thank you in advance for your Help.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

I have never experienced this before. Could you share a couple of examples of the results you get returned where the field is not empty. By the way, indexing happens automatically in the background in cloud so you don’t have to worry about that. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2021

Hi @Dennis Lex  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

As Jack noted, indexing is automagic for cloud, and...

Do you have any team-managed projects (next-gen) in use in your instance?  If so, I suspect this may be related to the problem with JQL and EMPTY tests confusing fields between projects, as noted here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76482

The work-around is to use the custom field ID in the query.  You may learn how to find the ID from that defect posting.

Best regards,

Bill

Like Dennis Lex likes this
Dennis Lex May 11, 2021

Thank you for your warm welcome to the Atlassian Community and your competent answers. @Jack Brickey @Bill Sheboy 

Bills work-around worked for me and I guess as he mentioned that it belongs to the next-gen version of Jira Cloud that we recently introduced.

I wish you a nice week.

Best regards,

Dennis

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events